Michelle - Manhattan, Illinois

Determination

I believe that if you set your mind to it, you can achieve it through hard work and positive thought. This is the same ideas that many great men and women before me have set their lives around. People like Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Susan B. Anthony, and Albert Einstein have all done this and accomplished things that would not even have dreamt of.

For me, I was determined to succeed. Since a very early age I have taken academics seriously, more serious than most children ever would. When I was in kindergarten, I wanted to win to the Young Authors contest for best short story. I was so determined to win that I spent numerous nights at the kitchen table drawing up the illustrations and rewriting the text. I worked on the story so much so that I went crossed eyed and would fall asleep at the table. My positive thinking and hard work finally led me to a second place victory in the A.M. kindergarten at Cherry Hill.

Although my tasks in life have becoming seemingly more complicated, time consuming, and more thought provoking, my determination has not dwindled over the years. I have tried to replicate what happened to me in A.M. Kindergarten in everything that I have had to encounter. I believe that a task is never too difficult and never impossible. I believe that the best way to overcome a difficult task is to look at the task in small manageable sections. If you just go through each task only thinking about that specific section then you won’t be so overwhelmed with it. I believe that by doing this you will do a better job overall because each part will be given a good amount of time and the end result will not seem so daunting.

I believe that through hard work anything can be accomplished. For anything in life, time is a huge and precious commodity. By putting valuable time into something, you can perfect your skills and learn new things along the way. All of life’s most rewarding and difficult tasks are built on hard work. Like the famous quote says, “Rome was not built in a day.” By spending valuable time working on something, you will be able to achieve anything. Limits can only be defined by how much time you spend working to overcome them.

I believe that you can achieve anything through positive thought. I believe you and only you can know what you can and cannot do. I believe that you and only you what know what is best for you. By telling yourself that you can do something, you can set your mind to whatever may lay ahead for you. By positively telling yourself that you can accomplish something, you can accomplish it, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

“Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as you mind lets you. What you believe, you can achieve.”

~Mary Kay Ash