Brittany - Godfrey, Illinois

I believe in myself. I know that I am a really great person and I think every person should fight to find the good things in themselves as well. I have struggled to get to where I am right now. It was nothing to do with the way I was raised. My parents were always very loving and encouraging. They did their best to raise me to believe in myself and to recognize the good things about me. In fact, I am not sure I would have come to this understanding of myself without their constant support. There are just some things that are going to affect us as we go through life no matter what our backgrounds are or how we are raised. I think we all go through a personal struggle like this of some sort. It helps us to find out who we really are. During my times of uncertainty I would have thoughts that I felt did not belong to me. If you have ever experienced this you know it can be a scary thing. I thought to myself: this is not me, this is not who I am, this is not how I act. I began to sink into myself and started to become this other person. I felt awkward around people in a time when I should have been branching out. When all of my wonderful attributes could really get me far, they were all of a sudden failing me. I kept telling myself that this was not me! I had somehow slipped into some weak other person. I knew I was not having my usual spunk or confidence, but I did not know how to get it back again. I could not find out how to overcome these depressing thoughts. Finally, after some digging and devoting of time to myself, I found out the reason for my “strange” behavior. I just did not believe in myself. After some phone calls home and making the decision to set aside “me” time every day, I started to find my old self coming back to the surface. Maybe it was just a phase I had to go through to get to know myself better. I am not really sure, but I strongly think that it was my belief in myself that brought me out of it. I am myself again. I am outgoing. I am proud of who I am. I am comfortable and self assured. I am upbeat, always smiling and laughing. I am serious when I want to be, responsible, but still fun to be around. I know all of these things and can be proud of all of it. I also believe that I am stronger in who I am because I had this experience. My hope is that I will be able to carry this belief in myself with me and also help others to have this confidence in themselves as well.