Michelle - Decatur, Illinois

I believe that true friends are everything.

In high school, and even before that, I did not really have any close friends. The only time I think that I did not feel that way was when I was in Kindergarten—every one is your best friend then. I remember being in a group of Kindergarteners holding hands and skipping around the big red school building.

In my senior year of high school, I finally made some close friends, but, now, I do not talk to them much. I am in college now, and it seems that our schedules are too different to work. It does not mean we are not friends, but simply that we are not as close as we used to be.

I am in college now. That means that I live on campus and have many more opportunities to hang out with people, and many more people to spend time with (I come from a small school with a graduating class of forty-seven after all). That being said, I know many more people now, but limit who I actually hang out with. I have found my best friend here and I am much closer to him than with any of my other friends.

A good friend of my family died recently—someone who helped raise me when I was little (she was our next door neighbor). She was someone I looked up to and I could trust to always be straight forward with me.

My best friend was and is there for me—making sure I stayed cheery and smiling. That included random tickling and poking, jokes, and him ordering me to smile—be happy. I cannot put into words how much I appreciate what he has done for me; no friend was there for me in that kind of situation before.

When my grandmother on my dad’s side died, everyone just left me alone. It was like I was contagious or something—I felt more lonely at school than at home. It really was a ridiculous feeling because I was surrounded by people at school and only saw about four or five people at home. It was just how isolated I felt.

I realize that people die and that it is a natural part of life, but that does not mean I cannot feel sadness when I lose someone close to me. I do not like letting go of people who I think of as family and she is definitely one of those people.

What has this to do with what I believe? True friends help you through difficulties and that is what my best friend did for me. He is quickly becoming like family to me, someone I trust, love, and look to for help. He is a true friend and that is everything.