Amanda - Decatur, Illinois

I Believe…

I believe that no matter what someone’s age is or what he or she may do for a living, literacy plays a very important role in their life.

When we are little our parents read to us, or sometimes a babysitter may read to us. They sometimes use the readings to calm you down and put you to sleep. Then there are the stories that are used to teach us many things when we are little. Stories tend to teach us the basics like numbers, shapes, or as we grow older, morals that we should live our lives by. Not only are these stories good for education, they help to expand our imagination when we are younger.

Then as we go through school, literacy is used to further our education among other things. We read to learn about significant events that have occurred in our past. Teachers also use literacy to help teach grammar and further our word vocabulary. Not only does reading occur in our day-to-day activities, many people use readings to relax themselves or release different emotions. Reading can connect us as a hobby or common interest and help us make the transition into our adult lives.

Once we come to our adult lives literacy can help to open more doors for us. Literacy can be used to represent current events that are going on whether in our own neighborhood or nationwide. Thus making literacy a very needed skill among us as a society. Being able to read has become an almost required and sometimes expected skill in our daily lives. Most people read something every single day whether they realize it or not. Take for instance street names, when you are driving you read the street names to know where you are going. If reading wasn’t so important, then why does it seem like no matter where you go you will find at least five different words. Whether they are scratched into something or meticulously written, they are always there. Therefore I believe that reading is almost as needed as being able to breathe no matter who you are.