I Believe in the Perfect Song

Sarah - Burbank, Illinois

I’m walking outside and it is unbelievably cold. I can see my breath, the only indication that I am still alive. It has not been the greatest day. I received a C on one of the biggest papers of the year for one of my classes and I just found out there is no way for me to get an A in my drawing class. Fantastic. And to top it off, it is freezing out but not even a hint of snow is visible in the sky. At least snow makes the world quieter. Then I remember my iPod in my pocket and decide to drown out everything around me. I pop in first the right earphone, then the left. Never the other way around. I scroll down, looking for a song that catches my eye. My finger stops and the screen lights up. That one. That’s the one I want. I hit the play button and close my eyes. Immediately the cold subsides. All other sound is drowned out by this melody going through my head. I let go, allowing the lyrics to wash over me, each word resonating deep within my chest. I take slow, deep breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth. In, out. In, out. Nothing else matters but this song right now. Nothing else can matter because I can’t take anything else right now. For three minutes and seventeen seconds, I am infinite. Every fiber of my being is being consumed by this one song. I am swimming through bliss. And I do not care that I have a mountain of homework or that I have work in ten minutes. All I care about is this three minutes and seventeen seconds where I do not have to think about anything. It’s just me, standing alone in the cold with my eyes closed. I can’t imagine being anywhere else in the world right now. And as my breathing starts to quicken from the intensity of the song, I lose myself and don’t realize that the last few seconds are playing and finally, that the song is over. My eyes snap open and the world rushes back into my blurry vision. I take my headphones out and continue walking. The cold creeps back into my bones and streams of iridescent mist escape through my mouth. I still have a mountain of homework to do, but for this one quick moving moment in my life, I was infinite.