Cordarris - Park Hills, Missouri

A True Athlete

I believe that a true athlete never gives up. I am not much of the athlete or as good as someone else in others eyes but I do not let that stand in my way. There has been times were I trained and worked hard to get better. Last year I ran track, I thought it sucked and that there was no point for me to do it. I stayed, practiced, and ran my first meet. I underestimated my opponents and didn’t pace myself; I got half-way around and couldn’t feel my legs. Though I didn’t time well I managed to push myself to place second to last. For the rest of my season I reminded myself to never give up even when things got tough.

I ended up pulling my right quad all because I didn’t stretch well enough. I didn’t think I was hurt to bad so I didn’t tell coach and keep running on it. When coach saw that I was hurt after a practice, he made me quit running until I healed. I continued to go to practice even though all I did was watch. I missed meets and felt bad because since I couldn’t race the relay team couldn’t race.

After a couple of weeks my leg was healed and I was back in the game for the team. We went to a couple of meets and didn’t do so while and the team was upset at the third leg. Then I pulled my left quad after a meet in Farmington. I didn’t let that get in my way not with the season ending in a week. I stayed off my leg until the meet; I ran harder and faster than ever. We placed third and I was hurting. I did learn to never give up if I wanted to be an athlete.

Now whenever I play sports I think of some of the great sports legends and what they did. Cyclist Lance Armstrong for example; he was diagnosed with widespread cancer and faced a fifty percent chance of surviving. Not only did he survive, he came back to make sports history by winning the Tour de France six times in a row and made his mark as one of the most gifted athlete of all time. Michael Jordon wasn’t so different, when in high school he didn’t make the basketball team but he never gave up. He went on to college and played, then made it to the NBA. Now he is the best in the history of the game.

I have learned that true athletes never give up. Michael Jordon and Lance Armstrong never gave up and they’re normal just like you and me. Even when I am just not good enough at a sport I push my self to never give up. I want to be a true athlete someday, and true athletes never give up.