Ashley - Park Hills, Missouri

Power of Music

I believe in the power of music. I always find music to be the best way to express feeling. Everyone can somehow relate to music. “Music is all around us, all you have to do is listen.”

When I was nine years old, a song came on the radio called, “I Hope You Dance” by LeAnn Womack. My mom and I sat in the car and listened to it. The lyrics, “Promise me you’ll give faith a fighting chance” caught our attention the most. My Grandma had been diagnosed with breast cancer about a month before and the doctors had tried everything to try to stop it. They said there wasn’t much they could do because they hadn’t caught it early enough. Also, she had emphysema and she couldn’t be without her oxygen tank for a long period of time. That made radiation and chemotherapy very difficult. After a month of difficulties and trying to stop the cancer, she was starting to give up. It bothered both my mom and I that she would just give up, because she had always been stronger than us. We didn’t know how to tell her to not give up now without making her upset. Hearing the lyrics, especially those, were the exact words we were looking for. The next day, we had my grandma listen to the song at the hospital. We were all crying by the second time the chorus came on.

Music has been the easiest way I’ve found to cope with anything that happens to me. Whether it is good or bad I find music can express the feeling better than words ever will be able to. Everyone has their own choice of music. It may be rap, country, classical, or even Broadway show tunes. Each genre gives everyone some feeling of comfort in their life. Music is a way of life. Everything we do has some kind of rhythm to it. It doesn’t need notes to be music. Music touches people in the most amazing way. You can express love, peace, anger, basically any feeling you can imagine can be expressed through music.