Kelsey - Park Hills, Missouri
Themes: respect

Respect…Find Out What It Means To Me.

My Grandma was a strong woman. She worked many odd jobs and long hours to give her children what they needed. She made some sacrifices and many tough decisions. Grandma always did whatever it took to get things done. She always took care of her family with kindness and tough love when needed. I tell you this because she taught us many things that money couldn’t buy. She taught us how to be respectful. She would sometimes say “you don’t have to love me, you don’t even have to like me but you will respect me.” Years later I find myself following this advice. Wishing often that others had a grandma like mine to teach them such valuable lessons.

This I believe that respect is a valuable lesson that ever child should be taught at a young age. To me respect is about being polite and considerate to others. Giving the new people you meet your respect and getting it in return. Being respectful shows others what kind of person you are and how you choose to be treated. When you have self respect people know who you are and how you want to be treated. They show consideration towards who you are and your beliefs.

I have found that it is better in life to always be who you are and not be afraid to tell others what you believe. If you stand firm in these beliefs then others will have respect for you. People who are respectful and respected are more likely to do better in life. Think about the person you look up to, you probably have a lot of respect for that person. It isn’t because they are wishy-washy and do not have firm beliefs. It is usually because that person is strong in what they believe. Even though we may not all have grandmas to tell us to mind our manners, we could all try a little respect. I think things in this world would run much smoother, and you could go a lot further in life. This I believe.