Silent Words

Nick - Park Hills, Missouri

As you seem to go anywhere nowadays you seem to hear people mouthing, insulting, and back stabbing other people. They say those things when those people aren’t around. This is what you call “silent words”, that can kill more people than guns, and that is what I believe.

Walking down the halls in High school is a grueling thing. You hear all these “silent words.” One day I was just walking along and I could hear all these people making fun of this one kid who could not defend himself. The kid had nothing wrong with him he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The kids were calling him names, hitting him, and pushing him around and no one would do anything about it. Being the normal teenage I was I just walked on and did nothing.

The next couple of days I didn’t see the kid that got made fun of. I thought he was just sick so I didn’t think anything about it. But then I heard some of my friends talking about how he had dropped out of school and moved. In the back of my brain I knew why he had moved but I checked to make sure, so I asked why, and she said, “because he got made fun of and he couldn’t take it anymore”. When I hear this I was sad because I could have stopped those kids from making fun of him. When I got out of the class I went and found those kids. I told them what they did and they didn’t even care. I was so mad I went to the principle and told them what happened and they all got in trouble.

Now the Kid that was being made fun of goes back to this school and is not made fun of anymore. He happens to have a lot of friends now and is running for class president next year. The lesson here is that if you see someone getting made fun of you should help them. You should do the right then even when people might get mad at you. Having someone mad at you is a lot better than having to go to a funeral.