Trust No One but Thyself

Rod - 63601, Missouri

For every great man, there is also a great idea. My idea is for everyone to trust only themselves. There are a lot of ups and downs to this idea. All in all, I find it to be the truth. People just can’t be counted on. If you really think about it, you’ll find that most people always look out for number one. So it’s not hard to find that for the most part people can rely on themselves for what they might need.

I might sound like I’m just being prejudiced with what I say. I probably seem like I’m just assuming I shouldn’t trust people just because it seems like a good idea. If someone were to think that, they’d be dead wrong. I’ve had experience in the past which makes me question whether or not I can trust anyone. Sure enough though, it happens to everyone. I’m not special.

It mostly has to do with my parents. Don’t get me wrong, my parents never really mistreated me. It wasn’t that. They always lied to me. Most people wouldn’t care. Not me though. One thing that matters a lot is a man’s integrity. If you can’t trust someone, then that person is useless in my eyes. If that person will lie to you, cheat you out of money, and steal the clothes right off your back, then how good of a person is he?

I can recall dozens of times my parents would lie to me. Not just them, but a lot of people would lie to me. It’s not really just the fact that they’re being dishonest; they think I’m stupid. Why else would someone try to load me up with a crock of bullcrack? Okay, listen to this: My mom always used to tell me my dad didn’t want to see me, and it’s not hard to figure how that makes a six-year-old kid feel. The truth of the matter is that my dad did want to see me. My mom made it to where I couldn’t see him through the use of the grand American court systems we all know and love.

I still can’t believe how people can just lie on an everyday basis and still sleep well at night. The misuse of someone else’s trust is just sickening to me. All they get out of it is delaying the inevitable truth that they messed up and they need a way out of it. But they always get caught in the end. One way or the other, lying just isn’t worth it, and you can only trust yourself.