Andrew - Park Hills, Missouri

I believe that being different from everyone else, is really important. One day I was watching my little brother play football and I wished I was as good as him. Now that I have taken the time to understand the word unique, I now understand why I shouldn’t have wished that. We as humans have to remember those times when we’ve done this. Wishing you were like someone else is ignorant. We need to keep track of our uniqueness in our thoughts. This helps when trying to understand ourselves and the relationship we have with others.

Uniquity could start with, sociality. We as humans have a natural feeling that having a better role, or position in a team, is most important to us. Why is this? That, my friend, is one of life’s most mysterious secrets. This uniquity is something many, care for. Although, I feel that it’s something that often may be difficult to completely understand and accept.

Now let’s suppose that this diversity didn’t exist. If in some way your existence was no more than being the same as the person next to you. How would you feel? The difference that distinguishes us from others is what makes us, us. If we were all alike, no one would have a favorite thing, or that special someone. Every individual is unique.

The way you look at that world can determine how you live your life and how others live their’s. Brittany Renee once said, “I would much rather have regrets about not doing what people said, than regretting not doing what my heart led me to and wondering what life had been like if I’d just been myself.” This type of approach can help you in relationships and friendships as well. “Everyone” has their uniqueness and keeping account of yours and of others, can help you understand how to maintain relationships, of any kind. Dr. Seuss stated that, “Today you are you that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

If we want to make a step forward, we need to learn to “respect” uniqueness. To do this we must understand that we are all unique, know our uniqueness, accept it, and respect it (therefore, respect ourselves). Having uniquity is what makes life, life. This all ties to personal experiences everyone’s had that has changed the way they view the word, unique. Being unique is something that I believe in, and I hope you do too.