Claire - West Columiba, Texas

What is wrong with this world? I know I am not the only person who asks this question frequently. Lately I have been watching the news more than usual but all they seem to discuss is negative things (people dying, war, hate, homicide, robbing, etc.). I mean, you watch these things and think “It’s no wonder why people are alcoholics and drug addicts nowadays.” Look at the world in its chaotic state! What will people do when drugs and other foreign substances are not enough to cope with the pain? Well, I believe I have a solution. I believe that you should hug at least seven people every day.

This is something that I believe strongly in because it works. Have you ever just had a horrible day where nothing is going right and then all of sudden, someone approaches you with the words, “I love you” followed by a firm embrace full of compassion? I believe that when you recieve something as reassuring as a hug, you will begin to feel hopeful and ready for whatever life throws at you. But, in order to keep this momentum of hopefulness going, we should give AND recieve, at least, seven hugs each day. To you this may sound like an odd and dismissive belief but I have observed and experienced it numerous times.

You know those days when nothing seems to be going right? Yeah I was having one of those days not too long ago. I was late to school, my cousin got in a wreck, my phone was taken up by a teacher, I forgot a homework assignment and I had a project that night. I wanted to scream, “Forget education man, I’m living in a box and hunting for food!” Just when I was about to yell at the world, a friend came up to me, gave me a hug, smiled and said, “Hey Claire Bear, I love you and we really need to hang out.” As soon as their arms wrapped around my body, I felt relaxed and an instant relief that let me know that people do care about me. I recieved about eight more hugs that day and each one meant even more than the last one.

I cannot fully explain the feeling that a hug gives you but I know they help more than you may think. Hugs are free so why not take one? This is my theory; This is my belief.