Ashlee - West Columbia, Texas
Themes: forgiveness

I believe in forgiveness. I believe in letting things go. I believe that the only way to have peace in the world is to forgive and to move on with life. Without forgiveness, you would be lonely because eventually you would have no one due to expectations, you will have disappointments. So forgive and move on!

About a year ago, my mother began having an affair. Although at the beginning I did not know it was that, it was soon made obvious. I would get left with the kids for days and sometimes weeks at a time with no money. She and I had more than our share fair of arguing over it and on about September 10th, 2007, I moved out of her house and into my dads. About a month passed before we even spoke. Within that month, I had lost touch with my sister and brother.

My counselor and I had been talking about it when she explained the importance of forgiving and the true meaning. It is not saying that what you did was okay and it is not saying that I am okay with what you did. It is, however, saying that I have learned that I will never know why and all I can do is let the grudge go and move on. Life is too short to dwell on what you cannot change and cannot understand. So why try? Just forgive and live your life. You only get one life to live anyways, so make it happy!

So I did. Then she and I have had lunch together and spent time together. However, I still never saw my sister and brother. So a couple of nights ago, I went to visit them. The moment my sister saw me, she ran and bear hugged me and started crying. It was the reuniting I needed! I visited for about two or three hours. At the end of the visit, I went home feelings a sense of relief and honestly felt like a burden had been lifted off my chest.

The visit showed me that I was right for forgiving my mother. I was correct for letting it go within myself and to not dread the past and only change the future. Where would I have gotten without forgiving myself enough to find the strength to forgiver her? I would be without my family and a bitter person. I have grown from this and changed, and I will no longer hold grudges. Only forgiveness from here!