Jarom - Heber City, Utah
Themes: hope, work

“The difference between a successful person and other is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather of will.” – Vince Lombardi. I believe that determination is the most powerful tool you can have. It doesn’t matter how much smarter of stronger you are then someone, you probably aren’t going to do better than them at something or be more successful if you aren’t more determined.

A good example of determination is Karl Malone. Someone once said,” The measure of success is not by the place one has reached in life, but the obstacles one has overcome.” This is definitely true about Karl Malone. He was one of eight children in a poverty stricken family with only a mother living in a shack. One wouldn’t say these are the ideal circumstances for a future basketball star. From a young age he was determined to be successful. No matter how many times people told him that there was no way he could ever play pro basketball he kept moving forward and took every opportunity that knocked. Another person in his shoes might have listened to the people who told him his future was hopeless and never realized the opportunities that are everywhere. If you judge his success by the obstacles he overcame, Karl Malone is probably one of the most successful people on the planet.

No matter the situation in life, anyone can succeed and reach all their goals if they are determined enough and put their heart in it. As determination is the most powerful tool you can have, hopelessness is the worst. Someone with high potential and opportunities is going to go no where if he becomes hopeless after a mistake or setback. Whenever something bad happens you should just become more determined so you can succeed over any odds.