Elan - St. Louis, Missouri

I believe that some days you’re the bird, and some days you’re the statue. What seems like a simple, comical statement holds very true to my life and the lives of those around me. The situation I speak of that is implied by this statement, is the common site of bird droppings covering statues. In the lives of humans, this saying parallels many other sayings, in that we all have good days (when we’re the bird) and we all have bad days (the statue).

Some days it seems like everything is going wrong; you know the days where you just want to go home and sleep the whole day off. When I have days like this, overloaded with homework and ready to burst, I remember this saying. This is just a day when I’m the statue, but my day as the bird will come. And sure enough, a great day comes along when I am the bird, able to excrete on any statue I please.

My mother has a saying anytime I feel like I’m having one of these “statue days”. She got the saying from her mother when she was having one of those hard days. When I discuss a bad day with her, she says, “this too shall pass”, another way of saying, your day as a bird will come.

During Thanksgiving break, I went on a youth group convention in Omaha, Nebraska. The convention was amazing; 300 teens, 1 hotel, 4 nights. Then Monday came around. Instead of waking up in a hotel room with my friends I was woken up by the annoying buzz of my alarm clock way too early. That day at school seemed especially horrible: extra long, and then on top of all that, I had an abundance of homework. In a matter of two days, I had gone from a bird to a statue.

The fact is that most people believe in this statement yet don’t realize it. It is important to remember this, because feeling like you’re always the bird or the statue can be very problematic. So whenever you’re having a great day, remember that times won’t always be this good. Soon you’ll be the statue. And when you’re having a bad day and feel like the world is coming to an end, remember that better days are right around the corner. Soon you’ll be the bird.