Andrew - Commerce, Oklahoma

I believe that dreams come true. When a dream is in-planted in a person’s mind, it stays there forever. Many people live out other dreams that are made later in life, but the select few that keep trying until their dream comes true is the group that I would like to join. Many people dream of being a professional athlete, although many do not achieve it. Since I was five years old, I have dreamed of being a professional baseball player. Many people have tried to crush my dream, but I would not allow it to happen. If I would of allowed those people to crush my dream, I would not be where I am today in many parts of life. Although I’m closer than before to achieving my dream, there is a lot of work to do. I am going to achieve my dream, this I believe. Many people tried to break my spirit and make me give up on my dream. Although I considered giving up many times, my love for baseball and faith in myself gave me the strength to keep moving on with my dream. There have been many times I could have given up on my dream. One specific time has stuck in my mind to this very day. When I was nine years old, my family went through many difficult situations. My older brother got in to trouble and my parents start to fight a lot. As they began to fight more often, their fighting became more intense. One night, my mom came in to my room and asked me if I was going to go with her. I was baffled as I asked where. She told me that she was going to go to my grandparents’ house in Joplin, because her and my dad had a big fight. Although she decided to stay, that fight was a turning point to me. It really pulled me in to reality because I realized that my parents could possibly get divorced. Instead of crushing my dreams and giving up on everything, this encouraged me to work harder. Every time my parents would fight, I would go outside and practice. I believe this gave me many things; the most noticeable is my work ethic. Any time I would want to stop and go inside, I thought about what was going on inside the house. This pushed me to stay outside and practice as long as I could. As things became better, my work ethic also continued to become better and better. As my baseball career continued, more people tried to shut it down. Coaches told me that I was not good enough to play and made me sit the bench. This inspired me to work even harder, to prove them wrong. As I got older, I transferred to a different school. I played very well and our team did very good. Our team was in the finals of a tournament and we faced my old coach and his team. I did very well in the game, but the best part was when I made a diving catch in the outfield, to save the game. After the game was over and we shook their hands, I looked in to my ex-coaches face. I could see that he realized he made a mistake. This made all the hard work I put in, worth it. As I continue to make strides in my baseball career, I find more things to feed off of to make my work ethic better and better. My baseball career has always had its up’s and down’s, but I would not trade it for anything. My work ethic has got me to play baseball in college, for which I am very thankful. However, I do not want to stop in college, I want to continue to work as hard as I can until I reach the professional level. Although many people and circumstances have tried to get myself away from the game I love, all of them have failed. As some people say, a baseball player eats, sleeps, and breathes baseball. That is exactly how I am. I believe that dreams only go as far as the dreamer wants to take it.