Saavanth - Princeton, New Jersey
Themes: setbacks, work

Success at our Fingertips!

“Strivers achieve what dreamers believe.”

-Usher (Gray, Reallionaire, 203)

Many people think that dreams I had were ridiculous and impossible.

Dreaming to become a scientist seems to be a normal dream to have, but in the circumstances I was facing, that and other ambitions really did seem impossible. All I used to do is simply dream, dream, dream. Never took the first step, the initiative, the drive, the determination, the hustle. The moment I realized that the potential was in me all along, I knew I could succeed. I believe that everyone is born with potential to succeed, to be victorious. All we need is self-realization.

Science is my passion. Being the type who calculates and speculates, I was a keen observer in an indirect way. Even though I love science, it was, ironically, the subject I faced most difficulty with. I always struggled with concepts, how to explain, how to interpret, how to infer, and how to analyze them. I was malfunctioning, and to me, letting go was the best option. I was going to fall down, letting my dreams sink below me.

“ Talk doesn’t cook the rice.”

– Chinese proverb (Gray, Reallionaire, 91)

While I was trying to revive the hope in me, I noticed that in every being, there was glimpse of arrogance. It was the form of the dark quality that infected our minds: ego. It was everybody’s weakness, including mine. As I was noticing this in many people, I saw that demolishing this trait was necessary, especially if I had the all-consuming desire to achieve the goals I had set for myself. Success required removing the dark qualities from one’s self. To cleanse, to purify. Perhaps then the road may finally release itself from concealment, reveal itself. The road to ultimate achievement.

Finally seeing this path, I have decided to step forth and conquer what is ahead of me. Though I will face many setbacks, and ultimately, failures, I will learn from them. When situations are at their worst, I am at my strongest. My difficulty in science is only a mere illusion. I must step forth, break away, and vanquish, achieving the ambitions I had always dreamed of.

Victory is nearby, and someday, I shall reach it. Success lives in everybody’s dreams, and the all-consuming desire to accomplish is in us. We all have god-given potentials, the main one being to achieve our dreams and ambitions. With pride, hard work, respect, preparation, inspiration, and confidence, success is closer than we think.