I Believe That Friendship is Precious

Rhiannon - Beloit, Wisconsin

Grade school years were the years of invincibility or at least the years where I thought I was invincible. I tried many things out for the first time, and my experiences were collected to form who I am. My experience was a lot like others in this context; my friends and I, however, truly believed we were more invincible than others and could handle a lot more. This mindset allowed us to experiment deeper into things a student usually wouldn’t, and stray further away from a “typical” grade school student life.

Our main experimentation was with drug and alcohol use. Having been young and ignorant at that time, some of my friends went further into the drug use and ended up shooting heroin by the age of 16. When I found out this information I went crazy, I was angry that they were doing it, sad that they were hiding it from me, and just scared about the whole situation. I told them to begin quitting and if they didn’t I wouldn’t talk to them anymore; they made no attempt to stop so I began ignoring them completely. Two weeks after, one of them overdosed and died.

I felt immense guilt about the whole situation, the fact that I started taking other drugs with them in the beginning, and that later I didn’t tell anyone about the heroin, but most of all was the guilt of walking away. I have never been able to forgive myself for turning my back on my friends that day, though I do know if a friend is ever in trouble or danger with themselves I will never again turn my back on them. I believe that a person needs to be willing to go through the hardest times with a friend, no matter how painful they can be, because in the end that is what friends are for. I unfortunately had to learn this lesson through a loss of a friend. Friends are there for support, comfort, and care in any type of situation, good or bad. The meaning and importance of friendship needs to be understood from the beginning and not just when it is lost. It is far to precious of a thing to ever walk away from.