Quentin - Clermont, Florida
Themes: addiction, family

Since I can remember my brother has always struggled. Roy tried a couple of different lifestyles to see what that would make him happy and successful, but as you will soon learn is that they didn’t.

When Roy was in high school he would sell drugs in empty markers. He also got involved in a gang called “The Bloods.” He would always wear a red sweatshirt and black dickies with a red bandana hanging from his back pocket. Roy got into a bunch of fights and dropped out of high school later on during his sophomore year. He thought all he needed was his gang, money, and girls. My parents couldn’t take it anymore so we moved to Bisbee, Arizona.

I guess I’m trying to say that my brother was not the greatest role model for a young teenager like myself, but I can learn from his mistakes. I thought he was never going to correct himself, because he inherited my father’s ignorance. I couldn’t stand my brother for a long time because he was a hypocrite and he brought stress on my family.

One day I got a call from my mother and she sounded so cheerful, saying, “Praise God!” I said, “Mom what happened?” She answered with this, “I will let Roy tell you.” During my last freshman college football game I got a call from Roy, but I missed it. I called him back as soon as I saw that he called. When we were talking he said he changed his life around. He said, “Quentin I got saved and I am done with drugs.” After he said that I couldn’t even say anything back because I immediately broke down crying. It felt like if a weight was lifted off my shoulders but, at the same time I felt like a jerk for doubting God. Roy proudly stated, “I have been sober and drug free for two months now.” All I could say during our whole conversation was “That’s awesome Bro!”