David - Oak Harbor, Washington
Themes: environment

This I Believe Essay: Plant life at risk

There are about 360,000 plants species alive today, but many are endangered and could become extinct. This will change the balance of the ecosystems in which insects and animals live. Native plants in particular are at risk because of the number of introduced species. Introduced species are species not native to the area, and often take over and become weeds; native animals cannot eat them, and they spoil the qualities of the land and replace native plants. In addition, crop plants are also at risk. All the crops that are grown today were once wild. Various species have disappeared as people have chosen to use only the ones that suit their needs.

Monoculture is now common throughout the world. Because farmers use only a small range of plants due to cost constraints, since 1900 about 75% of the different types of farm plants have become extinct. It is because of the above mentioned reasons that I believe Monoculture farming should be replaced with Biodiversity in farming. The Biodiversity of farming practices should help sustain the variety of earth’s plant life and keep species of plants from dieing out entirely. Our government should promote more efforts for Biodiversity in farming methods today.