Justin - Midway, Utah

Video Games are Mental Sports

I believe that video games are the same as sports, but mentally active instead of physically active. Many people say that video games are bad for you because, unlike sports, they aren’t helping you get stronger. You may look at something and think, “This is bad because this isn’t the same as what I believe is right,” but I believe that just because video games and sports seem to be opposites, both are still good for you. I think this applies to many aspects of life.

Sometimes people will say that the only thing you can be prejudiced against is people. I believe that people are prejudiced against video games, religion, foods, and ideas. Galileo said that the Earth revolved around the Sun, but people said that he was wrong without doing any research. Children will not eat peas because they are small and green. Priests say that no one should even look into other religions and should follow whichever you were born into. We recognize that when people do these things, it is wrong, but parents still say that video games are unhealthy because they don’t have you outside running around, without thinking about what games could be helping you with.

Many studies have found that video games are good for developing your mind, as long as you don’t let them take over your life. Although I have not seen it stated, I believe the same goes for sports. If you let yourself start doing nothing but sports, then you will get stronger, but your grades will fall. If you keep your playing and your schoolwork balanced, you will turn out fine. So why do we have sports as an extracurricular activity, but not video games? They both offer the same amount of education, both can help build teamwork and friendship, and both help you to grow, whether it is you brain or your brawn.

When you are looking at something, I hope you will think not only twice, but three or four times and at every angle. Be sure not to judge something differently than another when the facts presented are the same. If we try to not judge a book by it’s cover, we can all make better decisions in life. This is what I believe.