Kenia - Heber City, Utah

Kenia Romero

What is the one thing that keeps you going everyday? The one thing that gets you home on time? Everyone has something they love to do, something they would be lost without. As for me, well that one thing is art, I love looking at it, and I love drawing it. Art is the one thing that has helped me when I am angry, it also helps me through my depressions and most of my family problems. I remember the first time I got interested in art, it was a Saturday, my family and I were going out for some family fun. As we were getting dressed we were trying to decide if we were going to go to the movies or to the art gallery by my mom’s work, and well we ended up going to the art gallery. It was the best experience of my life, the art was not only beautiful, it was admirable too, lots of families were there, and well that is what got me interested in art.

Art has been my life, art has always kept me out of trouble. My mom has always told me “never stop dreaming, because when you do your entire life will seem pointless” and she is right, I have dedicated my life to art and ever since I feel like I can face any situation that comes my way. There have been times when art has kept me out of some big problems; let me go back to last year. It was twenty till eight o’clock, so school was about to start, my friends and I were all eating breakfast in the cafeteria. We were talking about maybe hanging out after school, and one of my friends (I don’t want to start saying names) said, “Hey, why don’t we just skip school tomorrow and hang out all day.” So then the rest of my friends started to agree and well believe it or not t agreed too. So tomorrow we all come ready to skip school, but then I remembered, “I have my art class today,” so I try to think of things to tell them, so I don’t have to go with then, but I couldn’t find anything to tell them, so I just hide in the girls restroom. I knew I had made the right choice. I thanked art for a long time, because art saved me from an entire week in detention, you see my friends tried to call in and act like their parents to try to getting an excused absents, so as you might have guessed they get caught! So as I said art has gotten me out of an entire week of detention and a long time of hatred and punishment from my mom.

Art is my life, it is not just something I love to do, it’s my luck charm, and my inspiration to keep living. Best part is I know nobody can take it away from me, no matter how hard they try.