Morgan - Heber, Utah
Themes: freedom

I have had very extreme experiences in my life, some leading to very harsh solutions. One of these experiences lead to me ending up in a rehabilitation center. My privileges were stripped from me. I could hardly do anything without surveillance or people watching me. I had a set schedule I had to follow every day. There was a time to eat breakfast, a time to brush my teeth, a time to have a shower, etc. Everything was planned down to the last centimeter. These schedules were not ones you could ignore or choose not to do, there were harsh consequences for not doing as you were expected. I hadn’t realized how much freedom I had until I was admitted to this rehabilitation center.

I doubt anyone realizes how much freedom they have in a free country such as The United States of America. I think most people can’t even think about the lack of freedom because they don’t know what it is or the true meaning of it. I know I didn’t. It took a very intense situation for me to realize how amazing and important freedom is. I believe that everyone should have the choice to be free or not. I disagree with not having freedom because of the way it makes you feel and act. From the second you’re born you have your whole life planned out for you without freedom. You practically have no choices.

I can understand the logical point of view on not being free and having a communist country but I truly believe that everyone deserves to be free to live their own lives and do as they wish not as someone else wishes them to do. It often takes the negative things in life to open our eyes for us to realize what’s going wrong in our world or even what’s going right in our world. A lot of people take freedom as not a big deal because of this. They just haven’t seen life without freedom and how miserable or terrible life without freedom is.

I think people should not take freedom for granted. I know from personal experience how wonderful freedom is. I believe everyone deserves to be free and experience how wonderful it is.