Trevor - Midway, Utah

Trevor Jackson

Learning New Tricks

Freeskiing is my number one passion in life. I love it so much because of the opportunity to learn new tricks and the pure joy and satisfaction that come after accomplishing those tricks and continuing to progress. I dedicate a very large part of my life and sacrifice numerous things so I can be able to ski more often and progress faster. I believe what keeps me going everyday, and makes it so fun and challenging to me, is the pure desire to become better.

The tricks and stunts that I can do now I thought as impossible when I first started freesking when I was 11. Even the simplest of tricks like 360s (1 complete spin) and sliding a rail, seemed complex and impossible. But my desire to be able to do them and get better at skiing fueled me to go skiing more often and become better. As with every new trick I learn it took a ton of hard work, practice, and very many attempts to land my first 360. Try after try I kept falling and falling and when I finally landed it, it was like no feeling I had felt before. After that landing that trick for the first time, the possibilities seemed endless and I got better and better every season.

But there are breaks between seasons when the agonizing feeling of helplessness seeps in as it becomes nearly impossible to get better during the summer. I believe what’s even worse then not being able to ski is looking back on all the fun days of the season that are sprinkled with lost opportunities. What I mean by this is thinking about all those tricks I could’ve done and all those times I could’ve progressed even more. Coming out of the summer and into this season (07-08) I brought those thoughts with me and came up with a new goal for myself. That goal was to learn at least one new trick each time I went skiing. I have accomplished that goals so far in the 3 weeks of the season that have gone by. What I believe a large reason for accomplishing that, is my friends that I ski with.

My friends help me get better by example and by giving me tips on new and difficult tricks. If I see my friends throwing down and doing new tricks it usually rubs off on me and I try to do those same new things. That makes learning new things much easier and a lot of fun because my friends are great and we’re always having the time of our lives every day we’re out there skiing.

I plan on learning many new things this year and to have a great time doing it. I’m going to do my best in competitions and maybe even win a few. It can sometimes get hard and frustrating, but what keeps me going everyday and makes it so fun and challenging to me, is the pure desire to become better, and that is what I believe.