Michelle - Heber City, Utah
Themes: equality

Michelle Spencer

Diversity in Unity

Did you know that everyone’s genetic make-up is 99.9% the same? If everyone is so alike, then how can we be so different? If you think about it, the way we think is the same. Our motives for what we do are the same. That .1% of diversity is the details.

For example I love to tumble. I have tumbled or done some form of gymnastics for about 6 years. I love the exhilaration and the scariness of it. I get ecstatic when I finally get a trick down. Now after a lot of practice, I am pretty good at it. It’s how I feel unique from everyone else. Those reasons are the same reasons why anybody does any sport or hobby. The reasons are the same; it’s just the details, or the exact sport or hobby that is different. Yet those details are enough to make us all unique.

Everyone’s theory is different. Part of it depends on the environment they are in. I have moved quite a few times, and two of those times were across the country! The people at school expect different things than the people from the last school. Their reasoning is the same, they want to fit in. Such as, most of the girls like clothes, but every girl has a different opinion on what is cool.

The world has told us our whole lives that we are different and unique. That is all they focus on. On the other hand, there are people that are worried about reputations and trying to fit in. Then there are people that tell us to try to find something in common with the people around you so you can get along. So who do we listen to?

As a child, my mother taught me to share and get along with others. When I got a little older, those principles didn’t change, but she then also told me to, “Be yourself and Follow YOUR dreams, not anyone else’s.” It is important for me to realize that if everyone was the exact same, our world would be boring. So I also know that I shouldn’t make fun of people, but rejoice that we are different.

I believe that everyone is diverse and equal. I think that people need to realize that in order to exist together, we need to unite together. We need to respect each others values, thoughts, and needs. Everyone has a different situation, but don’t go so far as to being different that we can’t at least get along with one another. This I Believe.