Michael - Heber, Utah
Themes: sports

Have you ever had the ball in your hands, knowing you only have a few seconds left to do what you’ve worked your whole life for, to win the big championship. If you miss, you let yourself and the whole team down, if you make it you accomplish your all your dreams. That is what real basketball is all about. I believe in basketball, I believe in doing what you love and becoming the best you can be.

A few years ago, when I was in third grade, I started playing real competitive basketball on a team called the “lightening.” Mainly because there were no good teams in my home town and the only program they had was Jr. Jazz. So I played with a team from Provo, Utah. We won nearly all our games and always seemed to lose in the championship when we got there. That went on for a few years until one time we had a game against my home town at “Open Court.” I didn’t even know that my home town “Wasatch” had made a team. Anyways, it wasn’t a very close game. Me and my Provo team had more experience and won easily. As soon as I learned Wasatch had made a team, I ended my playing with the Provo team that I had gotten to know so well.

Now playing for Wasatch, we entered a tournament in Salt Lake, Utah and began winning games. We won our way to the championship. I was determined to win my first competitive basketball championship. We lost in double overtime. I wondered if we would ever win one.

Years went on without getting that championship, and I was beginning my sixth grade year. This year there was going to be a new team with all the best players on it, and a very good coach named Butch Murdock and a very good assistant coach named Lindsey Parker. I made the team along with a few other awesome experienced players. At first we weren’t the greatest but slowly we became one of the best teams in the state. There were only two teams we couldn’t beat. With that team we entered more tournaments than I thought we would, and won my first, second, third, and many more championships. I stayed with basketball even though the results weren’t showing and I worked through my problems until I got what I had worked for. I now realize that getting on that sixth grade team not only made me into a way better basketball player, but it shaped me into being the person I am now. I had long hair then and fit the label of a punk very well to myself and others. I never really tried my hardest at everything I did. But the head coach wouldn’t accept not trying your hardest. Basketball is a life shaping experience. Without it I don’t know where I would be. I believe, in basketball.