Maddy - Heber, Utah

Maddy McFarland

Year Round Cheer

We all know of the jolly, fat man who excites everyone during the Christmas season. Every child desires to sit on his lap and tell him what they want for Christmas, with hopes that he’ll grant every wish. Santa Claus sparks the imagination of many, and keeps their dreams alive. Although most people will grow out of believing in a man who delivers gifts to ever home across the world, and travels with the help of flying reindeer, I will always remain a believer.

I will never forget those exciting times on Christmas Eve. Some of my fondest memories are those of baking cookies for Santa, and writing thank you notes for the presents I would receive while I slept that night.

I remember a time when my family went down to Salt Lake City to see the beautiful lights at the temple. I saw many homeless people who were in need of money. When I saw their tattered clothes, and sad faces, I realized how fortunate I was. I asked my mom for some money to give to these people and she willingly handed some money to me. Their eyes twinkled with gratefulness. I knew that I was being like Santa and giving to people, who may have had nothing.

Christmas is one of the greatest times of the year and also a cheerful, giving season. We tend to be more aware of others’ needs and care for them during this great time. Shouldn’t we always be seeking ways to help? I think we should remember Santa’s example of a loving and giving man, and strive to live that way all of the time. Whether it is the Christmas season or not, I try to reach out and provide for others who are struggling.

My mom is the greatest example of this to me. She has a big heart and will always give care to anyone. I believe we can all be a Santa to someone by just giving a little.