Madi - Heber City, Utah

Do Your Own Thing

Have you ever been afraid to go against what your parents want you to do? I believe you should be your own person and do what you live and love to do.

I have a good friend who has danced her whole life. If you’ve ever danced you know how time consuming it can be. She takes multiple classes like ballet, jazz and hip hop, just to name a few. She loves to dance but she never has time to hang out with friends or do other things that she wants to do. She’s always complaining about having to go to dance. So, we ask her, “If you don’t like it why do you do it?” Her response is almost always, “My mom makes me.”

I don’t understand why you would let your parent or another person decide what you do with your life. Of course, you should listen to your parents/guardian and respect them and their rules and take their advice when you need it. But, don’t let them control you. You only have one life, and can only live it one day once. You have to live it to the fullest. Life is too short to waste and have people choosing and telling you what you should do with your life. Live life up. Party and have a good time. But, at the same time you need to obey your parents and not go off the deep end.

I believe you should be your own person. I believe you should think and do for yourself. I believe you shouldn’t live your life trying to please those around you. If you’re happy with yourself don’t worry about what other people are saying or thinking about you. I believe if you have an opinion you should state it and not be ashamed.

I have another good friend that is a total rebel. She fights with her parents and pretty much does whatever she wants. She doesn’t go off the deep end though she knows when to stop. She has so much fun. Sometimes I look at these two friends and wonder how they get along. They are such different people. You’ve got one person who is very proper and listens to everything her parents tell her to do when they say to do it. If they say jump, she’ll say “how high?” Then you’ve got another girl who lives for herself and relies on nobody but herself. Every once in a while I’ll look at them and think to myself. “If I could just combine them they would have one of the best personalities around.”

I believe you should be your own person, and do what you live and love to do.