Kayla - Heber City, Utah

Kayla Luke

Have you and your family ever gathered around a piano? Then with those that can play take turns presenting pieces they know? I have, I look forward to every family get together we have, because we are always surrounded by the joys of music. There was a particular get together we had and it was in complete chaos. Then my grandpa urged us to go to the living room and gather around the piano. I was first asked to play by my grandpa. As we got settled I began to play the piano piece ‘For Elise.’ Everything fell silent as I played. Everyone seemed to be in tune with the voice of music.

There’s something about music I can’t seem to figure out. No matter the piece of music, it always sends a message or mood. As I came to the end of my song I felt my body overflow with comfort. It was a feeling I had never felt before, and I then realized that’s why I play music. It’s because of the feelings you get when you play and the messages it sends.

I have a very rare talent. Not many people I know can play the piano. I have played in many places. Beginning with old folks homes, to piano festivals across my valley; I accompany in my religious youth group, and in my religious school class. I have been inspired by many youth groups of my age that can play the piano. Many have been great examples to me and show character with their music.

There are also many other examples expressed to me by famous composers. Such as, Back, Foster, Mozart, and Beethoven; Beethoven is my personal favorite. Beethoven’s music possesses a lofty and noble character. His piano sonatas and symphonies rank above the world’s greatest music literature; and each present a special meaning, as if it were a spoken word. Despite of being handicapped by deafness in his later years, it was then that he composed some of his best music. His shining example shows to me how one can overcome even the greatest of handicaps, but if the ambition and desire is strong enough to follow through.

With these amazing composers they have been well known for themes of American folk, classic, contemporary, jazz, cultural, and accompany. These popular themes and well-known classics have been skillfully adapted for a growing pianist as myself, but still retain the essential beauty and style of the original works. It’s said to be that these solos are perfect repertoire for elementary-to intermediate-level students, allowing each pianist to enjoy the timeless classics of masters at an earlier stage in their musical development.

I believe in music, that it has a voice and that everyone can grow to know and learn from. If you ever have a chance, sit down and play the piano. Or maybe listen to a pianist play their piece with character anywhere you may be.