Samantha - Slingerlands, New York

Personal Essay

I believe you should appreciate your loved ones because you never know what you have until it’s gone. For example, spend time with your elders or grandparents and cherish every minute you have with them because you may not have a lot of time left with them.

When I was younger I used to go to my Grandmother’s house very often. She was the best cook. She had her own little recipe for everything she made. She made zucchini patties and I hated zucchini but I loved those patties! She also made tomatoes and mozzarella and I hated tomatoes and mozzarella until I tried hers. I would always help her cook and she always told me when I was old enough, she would tell me all her secret recipes. My sisters and I would swim in her pool with my cousins all day. Then she would cook food on the grill for dinner. My cousins live right next door so our whole family would all sit outside and eat dinner together. Sometimes I would ask my parents if I could sleep over at my grandmother’s house afterwards or I would have to because my parents were going away. After we cleaned up and got ready for bed my cousins would sometimes come over and ask if I wanted to sleep at their house. Because I was little, I didn’t think twice about it. I never thought about my grandma and how she would feel. If going to my cousin’s house instead would make her feel like I thought she was boring. I would ask my grandma and she would hesitate to say yes but she always did. I would always have a great time and in the morning we would go back to my grandma’s house and she would make French toast. It was the best French toast in the world!

In 2002 when my family would go to visit my grandma she would always tell us her back hurt. She never had the energy to do anything either. I remember the day I went to her house and it was about noon and my grandma was still in her pajamas which was very unlikely for her. She said that her back had been killing her for a couple days and she couldn’t cook anymore. The next week she was diagnosed with a cancer called melanoma. She was in the hospital for months.

Those couple months were very different for me. I was only in third grade and my mother was always at the hospital and my dad was always at work. When he wasn’t he would be at the hospital. Whenever I needed help with my homework I couldn’t ask my parents. It was also different for me because sometimes she would come home from the hospital and we would hire a nurse to stay with her. She could never hear what I would say to her. She would lose her memory. One time we were eating dinner and

Before she got sick, my grandma also wanted to teach me how to sew. We were working on a sewing project but after she got sick she didn’t have enough strength to help me with it.

My Grandma died on July 24th, 2003 and to this day I regret going to my cousins house all of those times. I remember seeing my grandma’s face and she always looked a little bummed out when she would say that I could go over to my cousins. I always noticed that face she made but I was too young to realize it and do something about it. I wish I would’ve of stayed at my grandma’s house because my cousins would be around longer then my grandma.

My grandma also wanted to teach me how to sew. We were working on a sewing project but after she got sick she didn’t have enough strength to help me with it.

Sam Biondo