jackie - wilmington, Massachusetts
Themes: forgiveness

Forgiveness

Everyone has a time in his/her life when his/her friendships are tested, and everyone has a different way of solving these issues. But throughout the years and throughout my many friendships, I have come to believe in forgiveness. I believe in moving on with life. I believe in order to have a successful life, you must forgive.

Last year, I had two friends that I manly hung out with; of course I had many other friends, but I was closest with these two. One day, these two friends were hanging out with other people and didn’t invite me. Now I’m not the type to blow ridiculous situations out of proportion just to draw attention to myself, so I wasn’t upset. But the next day at a basketball clinic that I attended, one of the two friends didn’t talk to me and was clearly mad at me. I had no idea what was going on and didn’t find out until the next day at school. To this day, I have no idea what the full story behind why they were mad at me was, but this is what I think it was. They claimed that I had been hanging out with other friends and were now closer with those friends than with them. Now since this is a stupid reason to be angry at someone, I thought the whole thing would just blow over. I was totally wrong. It got to the point where I was begging for them to forgive me (for whatever I had done) and to just be friends again, not best friends. I wasn’t as concerned about losing them as best friends as I was with losing them as friends. They eventually forgave me after about two weeks of me begging and them ignoring me, but to this day I am not as close with them as I used to be.

I have moved on and forgotten about that “fight,” if you can call it one. That whole situation made things very clear to me. Right then and there, I realized that I would never want to put someone in the position I was in. I also learned that I cannot make such little issues into huge problems. They lost me as one of their closest friends and I would never want to lose anyone as a friend. I believe that a person must forgive in order to have friends because no human is perfect and everyone is going to make mistakes. So if I cause more drama than there should be over stupid issues, people are going to be less likely to forgive me and I will be left with fewer friends than I had before. I believe that in order to have a fun life and share it with my friends, I must forgive.