Nicole - Corinth, Kentucky

As I sit in my dorm and try to determine what it is exactly that I “believe in” I begin to look around and find that the answer is all around me, on my photo covered dorm room walls. I believe in the power of silence. In each and every photo that I have on my wall there is a story behind it; a story of love, of good times and bad, of memories, of breakdowns, of girl nights, of bonding but most of all of friendship. However, one thing that isn’t up there is how important a moment or moments of silence between two friends can actually be.

My friends have always been there for me through thick and thin and I’m incredibly thankful for them. My junior year of high school my dad passed away. I found out right before school started that day and my friends ended up skipping first hour to sit with me and my mom in the front office. They didn’t say anything monumental to make me feel better or even try to make me laugh. They just held my hands, handed me tissues, and let me cry on their shoulders. Then at the layout and funeral they were there as well. Not because they had been close to my dad or anything like that but for me, to be the support that I needed. Here they did the same as they had done in the front office only a few days before. Not a lot was physically said but them just being there said enough.

However, it’s not just funerals where silence can make you feel better but in everyday events. Back in high school if one of us had a bad day it immediately called for pajamas and a sappy movie. There we would sit in our pj’s and watch our movie without anything being said about what happened that day. But then when we left everyone would be all smiles and that bad day would be history.

I guess when you think of teenage girls you usually think of loud, talkative, and sometimes even annoying but you never think of silence. Sometimes that silence is just what you need to get through a bad day or a funeral that you never thought would happen in your entire lifetime. Sometimes the best thing you can say is nothing at all and I believe that the author Margaret Lee Runbeck said it best, “Silences make the real conversations between friends. Not the saying but the never needing to say is what counts.”