Marty - St. Louis, Missouri

Since I can remember, I have been experiencing more than my fair share of challenges. For some people, living with 4 siblings is a great challenge in itself. However, I have to deal with 4 siblings and all of the other struggles that get piled on top of that. This doesn’t seem to bother and stress me as much as it might to another person. That is why I believe that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

I believe that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger in a couple of ways. I believe that the things that you survive make you physically stronger. I have been a witness to this throughout my life. I play lots of sports for fun and I now only competitively swim and play water polo. At the age of 16, it is evident to me and to others that my belief is true in the physical aspect. All of those grueling practices that I dreaded going to have now paid off over time. The practices where I pushed myself to the limit have benefited the growth of my muscles and my endurance in athletics. The things that haven’t killed me so far have benefited my body more than they have hurt it.

Another way that the things I survive make me stronger is in my attitude. When you go through a bad experience like the divorce of your parents it can take a toll on you. The challenges you face can make you stronger in a negative or positive way. For me, the divorce of my parents has made me positively stronger. Instead of becoming stronger and only caring about myself I have used the strength I gained from my experiences to help others in addition to helping myself. I am fortunate that I am able to turn my challenges into fuel for strength in my attitude and the way I act.

Lastly, the things that don’t kill me make me stronger in an emotional way. When someone is a witness to something like death it desensitizes them and can make them stronger and more immune to the feelings that come with horrible events. Although the things I have experienced may not be as bad as a murder or the actual moment when someone “kicks the bucket”, I have still become stronger in an emotional way from the things that I have seen. Just witnessing a family member lying helpless in a hospital bed has had an impact on me. The things I have experienced have made me much stronger emotionally.

The things that don’t kill you make you stronger in many ways. Sometimes it takes time to become stronger but other times it can be an instantaneous impact. In every challenge that I have faced I can now look back and see how it has made me stronger and the better person that I have come to be today.