sullivan - heber, Utah

Sullivan Swoboda

Skateboarding in my opinion is one of the most creative sports I have ever seen. But yet everyday skaters get harassed by police and businesses this is what I believe in.

Skaters don’t get the right amount of respect if any. Even when you’re riding down the road, my friends and I have had experiences of almost getting hit people have even told us skateboards are not for the roads, there are two times where someone I know has been hit by a car. Out of almost every spot unless its in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes people will even call the police on us for skateboarding.

I believe skaters don’t get many opportunities, or support. When I say support try to compare skateboarding to like baseball, they get baseball diamonds but they don’t make many skate parks. The majority of the people in town don’t like skateboarders; they don’t even want to help us. I have been to towns where people that worked where we were skating and came out and just asked us if we wanted her to move her car so it wouldn’t be in our way. When you hear that when you skate you feel better. The whole time I was in Oregon was like that a lot of respect from everyone. Oh yeah and guess what they had a skate park where I was so that shows how well supported the skateboarding community is in some places and that would be fantastic if ours was like that.

Also you know what really grinds my gears is the fact that skaters get tickets for doing what they love. Tell me something how come people that love football can play it in the park but if we skate there we get tickets, why? I would really like to know.

So this is what I believe in the fact of skateboarding harassment is wrong.