mike - heber, Utah
Themes: injustice, sports

Illegal Passion

My life, my passion is skateboarding, and I believe that skateboarder’s get stereo typed, disrespected, and treated unfairly. One day of my eight grade year I was skateboarding at a loading dock at an elementary school with a few of my friends. After we had skated there for maybe half an hour if even that long, a janitor came out of the school gave us a weird look, and took out his cell phone. About five minutes later a police officer came to the loading dock and told us to take a seat on the curb. We sat there on the elementary schools curb for about an hour and a half. We all received sightings and some of us even got up to12 hours of community service. Our charges were, criminal trespassing and skateboarding. They sighted us for doing what we love. To me that’s completely and totally unfair.

Here is another thing I find unbelievable. The city I live in has no skate park. That’s not the bad thing. The bad thing is that there are honestly maybe three to four places where we are actually allowed to skateboard. Oh and guess what, we are not even allowed to skateboard in the Public city park. But all of the baseball, volleyball, and football players are welcome to go play in the park. The reason I find this unbelievable is because they are acting like skateboarding is not a sport, but that it is a serious crime that we should be punished for. We are being punished for doing what we love.

In some states it is even illegal to skateboard. I have been skateboarding for about three years, and in those three years I have been kicked out of over 50 different places that have no, no skateboarding signs. Skateboarding will someday be a major sport maybe even in the Olympics. People are going to keep on trying to make skateboarding illegal. But what they don’t understand is that skateboarding for some of us is seriously all we know. It’s our lives, our passion. And it is horrible that people are trying to make it illegal for us to do what we love doing. This is what I believe. I believe that skateboarding and skateboarders deserve to do what they love without being punished for it.