My Junior Year In Football

Lawrence - farmington, Missouri
Themes: sports, work

“The only time success comes before the word work is in the dictionary”. I believe in this quote. When I read this quote for the first time I knew what I had to do in football for me to be a better football player.

After my sophomore season, I began to workout for the off-season. About a month into the off-season, I heard a coach from North County was coming to Central. I had no idea who this guy was. All I have heard about this guy was that he was a linebacker in high school and college. The coach’s name was P.J Jones.

Coach Jones began coming over to the high school in the afternoon so that the football players could workout. Coach Jones’s workouts are tough and good. He makes all the football players work very hard in the weight room. I wanted to do everything that I could to help our football team win. Coach Jones made it clear that what the football players had to do to be successful.

During the off-season some people joked about me being small for a lineman. Even some of my family members kind of had their say about it. When all of this was being said I took it all in. I kept telling myself, yeah I show them.

Football camp started the last two weeks of July. It was hot and humid. We worked on the basics. We conditioned a lot. We ran and ran. It wasn’t the best of times, but all of it would pay off.

The offensive line averages at least over 210 pounds except for me. I weight only 180 pounds. I saw this as a challenge for me. I wanted to be the best offensive lineman we have. All of our offensive lineman are very good. They are a good group of guys. We all worked very hard.

Central had a good year. The overall record for Central was seven and three. There are two games that really jump out at me this year. The Perryville game and who could ever forget when we played Fredericktown. When we played Perryville, sportswriters around our area said that Central would at least lose be three touchdowns. We ended up winning the game. It was an upset. I think the greatest moment this year by far was the the Fredericktown game. When we played Fredericktown they were undefeated. It was Central’s last game. Some people thought we had no chance against Fredericktown. I even remember people saying that we were going to get smoked. When we played Fredericktown it was one of the best moments ever. The score of the Fredericktown game ended up being 33-31. When the bell went off for the game to be over I will never forget the crowed that ran onto the field. It was amazing.

A couple of weeks later. The coaches told me that I made All-Confence. When I heard that it made me feel real good. A week goes by and I learned that I made 2nd team All-Region. That was the icing on the cake for me. When I found out that I got this award I was on cloud nine. I thought I was on top of the world. I knew with all the hard work that I done. It would have payed off. And it did. “The only time success comes before the word work is in the dictionary”. The quote helped change my life. I believe that the hard work made me a better football player.