I Believe There Is No Such Thing as “Free Lunch”

Shaye - St.Louis, Missouri
Themes: question

I always like to shop at Aeropostal so I though it would be a good idea to get a job there. I applied for a job position. Soon after, I received a phone call stating I was hired as a sales representative. I was happy to have a cool job at the mall. When I went to my first training they told me all about the employee discounts I would receive. I thought Aeropostal was giving a discount to their employees just because they appreciated their hard work. Toward the end of the training they told me the dress code for work. Employees had to wear Aeropostal clothes or something similar to their line of clothing. They can not wear Hollister or American Eagle, and employees must have on clean shoes.

I felt it was no big deal because I had a couple outfits from Aeropostal, but when I started to run out of outfits that fitted their requirements I had to buy some clothes from Aeropostal before I could clock-in. I felt frustrated while getting ready for work. I had to make sure my shoes were clean, my outfit was not from any other store in competition with Aeropostal, and that it was in season.

With all of the dress codes the employees at Aeropostal had to follow it made it impossible to wear anything but clothes from their store. I figure that is the real reason that they give their employees 60% off their purchases. That made me realize nothing is free.

I believe there is no such thing as “Free Lunch.” In other words there is nothing given without the expectation of some degree of reciprocity. If something is given to you for nothing the giver will expect some kind of favor from you in return. For example, coupons always have deals like “buy one get one free.” I would only get something free if I bought it first. That means I have to give something to get something.

The way I look at it now is no matter how good a deal or promotion sounds it always has a catch to it. Whenever someone offers me something in the future, whether it’s free or discounted I will be skeptical because I believe there is no such thing as “free lunch.”