Ben - North Haledon, New Jersey
Themes: humanism

As I walk down the path, on my way to class, I can’t help but notice that everybody who walks past me is looking at the ground. People nowadays avoid eye contact. They often fidget with a jacket or open up a cell phone in order to avoid a hello. We have drive-thru everything. We can buy all our hearts desire from the inside of our house, including a college degree. I believe that there is great importance to human contact. In the past we relied on human beings to run our factories, prepare our food and even check our homework. Today factories are run by machines, our food is processed, and computers do all the spell and grammar check we could ever need. Texting is now the hippest way of communication. You don’t even have to hear another person’s voice in order to talk with them. I believe that this is a great loss to any person; whoever they are. We become so dependent on machines and computers, that we tell a microphone what we want to eat rather than placing an order with another soul. Children stay inside playing video games rather than experiencing the creation of God. If we look at Jesus’ life we see tha He came into physical contact with almost every person He met. He even touched people with leprosy, and here we are, taking our money out of a capsule that could have been handed to us directly. Jesus rubbed mud on the eyes of a blind man and we do whatever we can to avoid the eyes of a passerby. I believe that the world would be a much better place if everyone decided to take the time to walk into a bank and say hello to the teller. I believe the world would be a better place if children played roller hockey in their driveway instead of watching a TV show. People need to feel a connection with other human beings and if we all realized this, I believe that we could make the world a warmer and happier place.