Brooke - Midway, Utah
Themes: forgiveness

I Believe in Forgiving and Forgetting

“When did you feel divine because you were able to forgive someone for their mistake?” That was a quote that caught my eye. It seems that not many people can forgive and forget. Many people I know always bring up things that happened in the past. Why can’t they let it go? That is the question I don’t get. Many family members of mine have made mistakes but I learn and grow from their mistakes. Some people can’t and won’t forgive someone for what they have done in the past. I think we need to live in the present. Sometimes I wonder if many people actually feel that divine feeling of forgiveness. My mother once told me, “You don’t hold grudges.” Ever since I heard that I try to make sure I don’t hold grudges. I even catch myself doing it and I stop immediately.

One specific story that stood out from all the rest was that my oldest brother broke the law of chastity, smoking, and drinking alcohol. When I found out about all that, I was only thirteen. It broke my heart to know that he had fallen away from good behavior. Of course I thought he was a good big brother that didn’t do anything wrong but when I heard all that, I lost respect for him. I learned to forgive him and learned from his mistakes. Today he doesn’t do it anymore because he knows how we feel about it. I still lost the respect for him and he won’t get it back unless he does something big to make up for the things he has done. I know we have to live and get over things that have happened in the past and learn from others mistakes.

My cousin had two children out of wedlock and my father hasn’t and won’t forgive her for what she did. That changed her life because she is scared of my dad and always worried that my mom will get in trouble with my father for being around her. And it’s sad to know that she is scared to be around him. It hurts me because I love my cousins and their children and my father doesn’t like the fact that I like to be there and help them out. He thinks they will influence me and I know I’m stronger than that. They are both different because of that situation.

It would be easier to forgive and forget. Learn from others mistakes and just put it behind you. There would be no stress and fear if you just forgive and learn from others. Feel that divine feeling, let it go. And this I believe.