Garrett - Park Hills, Missouri
Themes: courage, illness

I found that in my life there are ups and downs around every corner. Life is like a rollercoaster that spins in every different direction. One day in life I was dealt with a situation that totally changed my perspective on life. When I was younger I was dealt with a crippling eye disease called RP (Retinitis Pigmantosis) a disease that eats away at the retina. This disease was very serious because it could cause me to go blind at any time in my life. With this disease I was limited to what I could do. When I went outside in the dark I always had to carry a flashlight with me and that got annoying. When I played sports I was always careful of being hit in the head.

One time I was hit really badly in the eyebrow with a baseball and it caused my disease to progress a little bit more. Then I was unable to play sports anymore and that was just terrible to me. I can’t drive in the dark; I can’t go in a theater without help or any kind of dark room that I have not been in before. Even with this I found out that if I tried my best and took this challenge head on that it got better even when the disease got worse. I never take for granted that I can still see. My parents are always worrying about me and are on me constantly to pay attention to what I am doing. I understand that they are worried but it just gets ridiculous sometimes. This has taught me to make the best of what I’ve got and what I have been given.

A man once told me to take life’s challenges head on and make the best of what you’ve got in life. This belief was given to me by a wise man in my life, my dad. If you do this you will have a better life even when it seems that you don’t at the moment. Your life will not be so confined by the troubles of society if you believe in this manner. Ever since he has told me this I have always believed it and my life truly has been better and has not been confined by my eyes or what I do. My eyes do not define me as a person, my actions, beliefs, and personality define who I am. This is what I believe and it will never change.