Ashley - Park Hills, Missouri
Themes: setbacks

I believe in second chances. Each day when I wake up I am thankful that I got one.

Last April I was involved in a horrible car accident that could have, but surprisingly didn’t take my life. This past Easter morning I was on my way to my family’s house for dinner and I was in a hurry because I was running pretty late. My aunt’s house was about an hour and a half away from my house. I was going to try to make it there on time even though I only had about a half hour to spare.

I was flying. Even after my mom had told me before I left, not to drive fast in that car because I wasn’t quite used to it and I had only been driving it for about three days. I didn’t care. I didn’t think anything would happen considering I had never been in a car accident before. I did about 95 to 100 miles per hour the whole way and eventually I got about 10 minutes from my aunts house.

My phone rang and I went to grab it from the passenger seat and as I did I lost control of the car and hit the barrier on the left of the fast lane. I closed my eyes and panicked, not knowing what to do to correct my mistake. Suddenly I could feel my car passing over five lanes and I kept waiting, almost expecting another car or multiple cars even, to hit me. The weird thing is that they didn’t. I made it over five lanes and into a ditch without a single car hitting mine.

Next thing I remember was being in the hospital and hearing them tell my family that they weren’t sure if I was paralyzed yet or not. That was probably the scariest thing to me. Lying in the hospital not knowing if you’re ever going to be able to walk again is a true wake-up call. I was praying to myself and wishing that I could have done things over and I wished that I would have listened to my mom. All I wanted was a second chance to be able to drive safely and not speed.

Fortunately I’m not paralyzed and I got my second chance. I think it is sad because most people don’t get to walk away from accidents like that. So people who are blessed with second chances should never take them for granted and always appreciate what God has done for you. If it weren’t for my second chance I don’t know where I would be, but I am thankful for what I have been blessed with.