Never Take Things for Granted

nichole - Park Hills, Missouri
Themes: death, family

My mom was a kind person. She had a big heart, and if you needed any thing just if you would have asked she would have come running. I did every thing with my mom any time you saw her I was always right there next to her. She was my best friend. And I knew she would always be there for me. But as I got older like most kids my look on things changed. And soon I was never home I was always out with friends doing something that I probably shouldn’t have been doing.

Up until that night in July when I had some friends staying the night and we were in my room goofing off. And usually I slept with my mom in her room, so I went in there to tell her that we were going to bed and she couldn’t talk to me. She would just mumble and point at things. And I couldn’t figure out what wrong so I started to scream for my dad. He called the ambulance and they took her to the hospital. And my friends had to go home. The rest of the night I waited in the living room for her until I fell asleep yet she never came back. She spent the rest of her life in the intensive care unit until she passed on August 4, 2007.

I don’t even remember the last thing that I said to my mom. But I don’t think it was very nice. The thing is I don’t get to take those things that I said or the mean things I did back. I didn’t get a chance to see her or tell her anything before it happened. I think about things that I didn’t get to do like what I would have done different or better, what I would have said to her, or what I could have done to spend more time with her. But in the end none of that can ever change. So in the end what I believe is never take anything for granted because you never know when it’s going to be taken from you. And those things that are taken are always the things that matter most.