I Think What?

Cody - Park Hills, Missouri
Themes: change, question

“You’ll never amount to anything.” Most people hear that statement at least once in their life; some people let it affect them, others don’t. I believe that people’s beliefs constantly change based on what they’re told and who they are trying to impress. No matter what anyone says, everyone is influenced by someone.

In one of my classes last year, I was seated in front of a student who believes himself to be homosexual. Before then, I barely saw homosexuals as humans. After a while in this class, I started to realize that they’re not so different, and even began to accept them. That school year ended, along with my acceptance. I cannot express my current beliefs about homosexuality, because they are not appropriate for school and some may find them offensive. However, had I never been forced to sit near one, I wouldn’t have ever accepted them, even for a second.

Over the summer, I remember seeing a certain band live. Seeing this band in concert made me miserable. I thought they were a horrible excuse for anything musical, and shouldn’t be allowed to produce music. Just recently, while driving around with one of my friends, that friend popped in a CD that happened to be made by that exact same band. After hearing this CD a couple of times, I fell in love with the band, and now they’re the first band I listen to every time I turn on my computer.

Even more recently, I remember hanging out with one of my friends and a girl that I liked. The girl left, and on the drive home, I asked my friend his opinion of her. He called her a four letter word that almost rhymes with “yucky” and has relatively the same meaning. Almost immediately I changed my mind about the girl. I could now only see her through my friend’s eyes. I then began to ignore her and haven’t talked to her in a while.

All these stories have one thing in common; me being influenced unknowingly by someone. It goes to show how peoples’ beliefs can change in an instant. In fact, if many writers return to the “This I Believe” website in a couple of years, they may find that their beliefs have changed. Some may be completely different, while others may have only been altered slightly. I admit that my situations only changed minor things, but everything starts small. Even Sam Walton, founder of the world’s largest store Wal-Mart, started with a small five and dime store. I believe that it is just a part of growing up and progressing.