Adam - West Bridgewater, Massachusetts

I believe in pride. I’m nineteen years old, and I feel that I’ve accomplished a fair amount in those few years. I’m an honors student, an Eagle Scout, I’m actively involved in student government at my University and with community service in the surrounding area. Right out of high-school I joined the Massachusetts Army National Guard. What I’m most proud of though, is my integrity, which I refuse to compromise, even to the expense of myself and those close to me. I believe I have every right to be proud of who I am. It wasn’t easy getting here; there were many times when I wanted to throw in the towel, mainly during my early teens. But I stuck to everything I was doing in spite of the immense social pressure not too. Now, unlike many of my peers I actually have an answer when someone asks me what I’ve done with my life. Being able to say what I’ve been able to accomplish, being able to earn the respect of an adult not as a younger person but an equal, is an amazing feeling, because I believe respect is the most important thing you can give someone.

I’ll be the first to admit; I look down on many of the people I’m surrounded by, but at the same time it keeps me motivated. My pride in myself is what keeps me a good student, it’s what makes me sacrifice my time to the benefit of others. My pride is what allows me to wake up at five in the morning to go running. It’s why I always give one hundred percent and can’t sleep at night when I don’t. It’s why I’m going to be an amazing English Teacher. Pride is one of the seven Cardinal Sins. In excess it can be dangerous, but the same is true with water. Pride is a tool, and I don’t see anything sinful about using it to help people.