Rachel - St. Louis, Missouri

“Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness.” – Scott Adams. I believe that small acts of kindness are the really significant. Small acts of kindness define what kind of person we are.

This fall my time was split between marching band and cross country. I had to skip some band events to make and it to meets, and vice versa. One night the cross country team was getting together for a pasta dinner after practice. However, I had band practice soon so I wasn’t going to be able to make it. I was bummed. Pasta nights were something I looked forward to every week. My friend Lauren knew I wasn’t going to have anytime to eat until way later that night, so she drove me to Steak N’ Shake to get some food. Then she drove me back to school, on time for band. Finally Lauren drove off to pasta night. Lauren didn’t have to do anything. She could have just left school and went to pasta night, but she went out of her way to make sure I was good. This meant a lot to me. I felt like sometimes when I went out of my way for others, they wouldn’t return the favor. Lauren showed me that there are other people who go out of their ways for others because they really care.

This year I had one of the worst days I’ve had in a long time. At the end of the school day I went to find my friend Corinne to talk, and by that point I was already crying. I got Corinne’s attention and I ducked into the bathroom to wait for her. It was only a minute or so until Corinne followed, but in that time Emma came in the bathroom. At the time I barely knew Emma but we both ran cross country so it wasn’t like we were complete strangers. Emma saw I was crying and just came over and gave me a big hug, no questions asked. That was the best thing Emma could have done. I’m so glad that there are kind people like Emma in the world.

The book Pay It Forward is a book that best describes the power of kindness. The main idea is that you should do a good deed for three people and then instead of having them pay you back or return the favor; they each go out and do three good deeds for other people. “Here’s the part nobody seems to get. It doesn’t have to be that big. I mean, not really. I mean, it might just seem big. Depending on who you do it for” (211). Most small acts of kindness only seem small to the person who’s doing them. They can mean the world to someone else.