Corrine - St. Louis, Missouri

“If Barbie is So Popular, Why do You Have to Buy Her Friends?”

Many people today are fake and have very few real friends because of it. Though wearing a mask to attain more “friends” may seem appealing to some people, it will only end up hurting them in the long run.

“If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?”-Stephen Wright. When I first heard this quote, it made me laugh, but then I began to think about it. What an intelligent question. Barbie is one of the most popular “women” around, yet her friends literally have to be bought. That got me thinking about the real world-people are so fake today that it seems as though almost everyone is wearing a mask.

I went to a tiny grade school. There were twenty-six kids in my graduating eighth grade class, and I can only remember four of them who were real. These four, all girls, never wore masks. They had nothing to hide. All four were gorgeous, inside and out, and though they weren’t the most “popular”– the ones who went out every weekend and who always had plans– they were loved by virtually everybody in the school, students and staff alike.

Then there were the “Plastics.” At least, that was what everyone called them. They were the girls who everyone knew and wanted to be, but no one really liked. This group of four or five girls- it changed every year- was straight out of the movie “Mean Girls.” These were the cruelest, most cold hearted girls you would have ever met out of all the Catholic school eighth-graders in St. Louis. In “Mean Girls,” the “Plastics” are the girls who run the school. People will do whatever they tell them to and will do virtually anything to become one of “them.” The funny thing was, even though everyone wanted to be them, they had very few real friends. These girls were always wearing masks, so no one knew and appreciated who they were inside.

Because of the lack of people in the world who are not fake, there are ample people who are unhappy and lonely. They know, deep down, that even though they always have someone to do things with and they are never without plans, they are alone. The “Plastics” at my grade school broke up by the end of eighth grade, because one of the girls realized that treating people horribly and doing things to impress others was no way to live and told her “friends” how she felt. Over time the others found that her way of thinking was completely logical and that they too should try going without masks.

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?”-Stephen Wright. The popular comedian makes a great point in this statement. Listen to his wise and funny words and never wear a mask; it will end up hurting you in the long run.