Amanda - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Transitions in life are not things I tend to handle very well. I think this is because I haven’t had to deal with them often in my experiences. However, with this being my 1st semester as a college student knew I had to learn to adjust smoothly and quite quickly as well. I remember my first year of high school like it was yesterday. I graduated from Penn Christian Academy a lovely school located in E. Norriton; it was the only school I had ever attended and I had spent most of my waking moments there – my class had grown to feel more like family to me. I thought my 1st day of high school would be a blast, I’d meet new friends and it would be as if noting ever changed.

But, my assumption was terribly wrong and I had a very tough year ahead of me. My transition to high school was horrible, I had literally no friends, no one even made an effort to get to know me, my grades slipped and a downward spiral in my life began. I fell into a pit of depression and hated my life – at times I didn’t even want to get up in the mornings because I knew I would have to go back to school where I would be ignored, occasionally ridiculed, and rejected.

However, this year I found the key to making smooth transitions and it is quite simple. I remembered a poem I memorized in elementary school for a speech contest. It is by Helen Steiner Rice, “Friendship is a priceless gift

That can’t be bought or sold,

But its value is far greater

Than a mountain made of gold”

Friendship is priceless gift and it happens to be the solution to my dilemma as well as many others. I have truly learned the meaning of friendship as a priceless gift this year. Although at times difficult, I have kept in touch with old friends and have taken the time to make new ones as well! I practically spend all of my time in my friend Sierra’s dorm; we have been close friends for about 9 years which may not seem like a lot; but to me, a 19 year old college student it’s nearly half of my life. She is always there for me. For example, a few weeks ago I had a Western Civilization Test and I was afraid I wouldn’t do well. Sierra let me stay in her room to study because it’s much quieter than the library and even helped me review right before my exam. It is little things like that which let me know that she really cares. I’ve also realized that all friendship is as gold. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve known each other or how much time you spend with each other. It is about how much you love and respect each other. I can count on my friends to be there for me through everything, to support me, and to give me reality checks when I need them. I think that the poet Helen Steiner Rice truly captured the essence of friendship.

I believe that solid friendships are the key in making successful transitions throughout life.