Jessica - Hollywood, Florida

God’s Curveball (Don’t Strike Out)

I felt tested by God when my parents separated shortly after my freshmen year, which eventually led to their divorce early in my junior year. When my mother announced that she and my father were getting divorced, I felt a sense of resentment toward my parents because they did not follow through on the commitment they had made to each other and before God many years prior. After my father moved out of the house, I felt as though I had lost a parent, even though I knew my father would always be there to love and support my brother and me.

Even as it may seem odd, when my mother and father separated a year and a half ago, I did not see it necessarily as such a bad action. I assumed that if my parents took a hiatus from each living in the same house together, hopefully they would come to accept each other’s differences. Unfortunately, this was not the case. When my parents ended their marriage, I felt a sense of sorrow. The hope I once had for their rekindling had been taken away. A year later, when my mother began to date once again, I felt as though she no longer cared about my father whatsoever. I just couldn’t understand what had persuaded her to leave him behind, especially in such a short period of time. Now, as I grow older and begin to make my own decisions everyday, I no longer resent my parents for ending their marriage. They had their children’s best interest at heart.

With this obstacle, I learned that marriage is a very special and sacred sacrament and it should be viewed and executed as so. However, every cloud does have a silver lining. Even though the divorce was just one of the many challenges I will face in this life, it taught me that I should be very cautious and think every aspect through before I make any life-altering decisions, such as getting married and having children, for example. As stated in the ‘Teen Creed’: “Only choose a date that would make a good mate”.