Rachel - Longview, Texas

I believe in the importance of human relationships. I never knew that one person could completely change my life forever. But fourteen years ago a person entered into my life and I will never forget the impact she has made. One of my greatest memories is the day my sister was born. I can still recall when my mom told me that I would be a big sister. I told my mom that I wanted a sister, not a brother. I even threatened to move out of the house and live with my grandparents if it was a boy. I still believe today this is why I have a sister and not a brother.

At the age of only five I was given the privilege of naming her. I thought about it carefully and finally decided on the perfect name, Alexa. Even before she was born I had such a strong connection with her. I pictured in my head what it would be like to have someone to share everything with, my thoughts, beliefs, and hopes. It has exceeded my expectations beyond belief.

I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember my parents waking me up in the middle of the night and taking me to my grandparent’s house so they could go to the hospital. I remember going to school and telling everyone I saw that she would be here soon. Sitting up at the hospital waiting in desperation I drew countless pictures of me with my new baby sister. Looking back I never knew I could have so much love for someone I had never met. And still today my love for her grows deeper.

Now we spend countless hours staying up late at night talking about anything and everything. I do not know what I would do if I didn’t have her. She has made me understand the importance of having someone to confide to about everything. She makes me realize that everyday is of such great essence and nothing can be taken for granted.

Not only is she my sister but she is my best friend. She is the one I go to when life get too hard. She gives me the strength I need to go on when all seems to have failed. All of my fondest memories throughout my life involve her and the times we spend together. Without her I would not be the person I am today and I am eternally grateful to her for that. Knowing that she looks up to me in every way is one of the greatest feelings ever. If only she know she is truly the one that I look up to.