Darrin - Elora, Tennessee

I believe it’s not where you’re going, or what you’re doing, but who you’re with that makes life worthwhile. I grew up in a small town that probably had more cows than people. My great grandparents had twelve children, which helped farm the lands that they would eventually call their home, including my grandmother. Almost everyone who lived in my town was related to me somehow. We all lived so close to each other that we were able to make many memories together. I remember the days where all my cousins would go back in the woods and play capture the flag or hide and seek. I remember playing baseball with my older brother and cousin everyday during the hot summer days at my grandma’s house. I remember waking up on Christmas morning and going to my grandmother’s to open presents, watch football, and play cards. Now, I have moved from my hometown, and I have come to cherish those memories even more since I left. I still see my family from back home, but not as much as I used to. The town I live in now is much bigger than my hometown, but I have come to realize that it is not where you live or what you do, but who you do those things with. Sometimes I miss playing ball, capture the flag, or fishing, but mostly I miss being with those people that I shared those memories with.

There is no way to go back to those days. However, I can look forward to making new memories, with my family and new people that have entered my life. One of these days I will start a family of my own, and surround myself with people I love. I already have a great girl who I could see myself marrying in the future. We have made so many memories together, and I already consider her a part of my family. Along with her, I have made many new friends that have made a lasting impression in my life as well. I’m sure later in my life I will look back to my years in college, and think of all the great times I shared with them.

For me it is, and will always be, the people I share my life with that makes life worth living. No matter where I am, or what I do, as long as I am with the people I love I will always be grateful.